This is one for the super prepared people out there...

This is the list of everything you need to pull out the cupboards or email folders before you get the ball rolling on your house sale.

Proof of identity

We need to check you are who you say you are for AML so, you'll need to show us proof of ID. We need to see photographic identification (like a passport or driving licence) and a proof of address when you put your home on the market.

This is not to be nosy, it’s because estate agents, legal representatives and mortgage lenders are all required by law to check your identity in order to protect against money laundering.

The government’s proof of identity documents list can be found here.

Energy performance certificate

Part of our job as agents is to make sure every property has an EPC before we start marketing. A legal requirement for sellers since 2008, an EPC will tell buyers how well your home uses energy and if it’s energy efficient or not.

Sellers and landlords can be fined up to £5,000 for not having an EPC and they must be carried out by an accredited domestic energy assessor.

Don’t worry if you are not sure if you have a valid EPC (report created within 10 years), because our internal software can search for one for you in our valuation report.
You can also find out EPCs on the government’s official EPC register here..

FENSA certificates for windows and doors

A FENSA certificate is your assurance that the installer who fitted your windows or doors has complied with Building Regulations. Normally a small A5 black and white piece of card sent to you a few weeks after the job was completed.

It also confirms that your windows/doors installation has been registered with the Local Council.

These are legal requirements and proof of them is essential when selling your home for the solicitor. Find it early and save the headache later.

Boiler safety certificate

You’re not allowed to sell a property, under any circumstances, if it doesn’t have a valid boiler installation certificate and ‘Building Regulations Compliance Certificate’.

This shows when the boiler was installed, certifies that it was installed properly and that it meets all necessary building regs.

If you lose your certificate, you can apply for a new one to be created from the records held by the Gas Safe Register for a small fee.

It is also very common for a gas safety certificate to be requested by the buyers solicitor. These cost around £100 fyi.

Electrical Installation Certificate

It’s illegal to sell a home without an Electrical Installation Certificate, or EIC.

The EIC proves that any electrical installation works done on the property were done in line with building regulations.

This is another request that will come from solicitors at the point of the legals, so don’t panic in the early days of the process and just be aware.

Planning approval for any major changes

If you've made a significant physical changes to your property like an extension, you would probably have applied for planning permission (at least we hope you did).

Planning permission usually takes around 13 weeks to come through. And if you’re doing it retrospectively, it can take a lot longer!

Title deeds

The title deeds are the proof that you own your property. The original title deeds are usually with the solicitor or conveyancer who you instructed on the last move. Alternatively, your mortgage provider may retain them if you have a mortgage on your home.

What if the property I’m selling is leasehold?

If you’re selling a leasehold property, you’ll also need to fill out a Leasehold Management Pack or TA7 form.

This basically includes all the information about the lease. It’s often filled in by your solicitor or conveyancer and outlines things like:
• service charges
• ground rent
• any plans for major works
• the building’s insurance policy details
• details on any management company that has been formed by the tenants to manage the lease/freehold
• any asbestos surveys carried out
• any external wall fire reviews

Hopefully that helps and you have added a few more items to your check list for the big move. We do these blogs and newsletters to help people feel more informed about the moving process.

If you need a property valuation with one of our avocado partners then feel free to request a call back here.